Sunday 20 May 2012

Early Protagonist Concepts


The protagonist I imagined would be a sort of cliché of a peasant like character with greatness thrust upon him. The idea was that he came from a swamp like area of Planet Alpha and is part of a frog-like race of people.



Since he was inspired by frogs, I imagined that he’d use a fighting style that used a lot of jumping thus I based his poses on the fighting style Muay Thai, which focused upon knee strikes and a lot of kicks. His attire is minimal somewhat like MMA fighters and he has Wrist and Ankle guards for combat.
In terms of anatomy, I imagined that the tendril on his head acted as his ear, the tendril itself is filled with liquid and giant ear drum that when sound reaches the liquid it vibrates and hits the drum. I don’t know how or if this work correctly but it was a concept that I liked and gave reason for his alien like anatomy.



The mask was inspired by the Kaleesh race of star wars who use the skulls of there ancestors as armour, I didn’t want my character to be so grim so I assume he’d carve it from some local flora or fauna. It sort of a tribal custom and aesthetically pleasing, giving the character a sense of mystery.



Later down the line I toyed with the idea of him being dressed in monk attire, it’s a concept that I always come back to with all my work, as I am fond of the morals and beliefs of the various types of Monks throughout the world, especially the Shaolin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment